Monday 9 December 2013

Prize Shortbread Recipe!



I LOVE COOKIES. 

No, really. I have an obsession. I have never met a cookie that I didn't like and try to consume them as often as I can. During the holiday season, I like to bake (and eat) my favourite cookies of all: my Mom's prize shortbreads! Deliciously buttery, these shortbreads have been a part of my life since childhood and I hope to pass this recipe on to my own kids some day.  

Of course, if you can manage not eating them all yourself, these Christmas cookies also make for a thoughtful and inexpensive gift for friends and family. Simply bake the cookies and store in a seasonal tin!

Here is the recipe. Enjoy! 



Step 1: Cream the butter.

Using beaters or a large, wooden spoon, cream the butter until it is silky. 

Step 2: Add ingredients.  

Stir in icing sugar, salt, nutmeg and egg yolk. Keep the egg white for decorating. The mixture should look like this: 



 Step 3: Add flour. 

Add flour to your mixture, a little at a time. Roll dough into a ball and chill for 1 hour.



Step 4: Roll dough.

Roll dough out onto a floured surface using a rolling pin. Use cookie cutters to create holiday shapes!




Step 5: Bake.

Arrage cookies an inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350° for seven to ten minutes.

Step 6: Decorate!

Let the cookies cool for ten minutes. Then, decorate your shortbread cookies. Simply brush the cookies with the leftover egg yolk and sprinkle coloured sugar onto them! Store the shortbreads in a pretty holiday tin or freeze them in freezer safe ziplock bags. Share them with friends and family...or eat them all yourself!




No comments:

Post a Comment